Point of Sale
We know that the tobacco industry spends an obscene amount of money on tobacco marketing, but did you know that:
- Every day, the tobacco industry spends over half a million dollars in New York State to market its products.
- They spend over 90% of it on marketing in your local gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores and pharmacies? Bright colors behind the counter. Large signs with special pricing. Rows and rows of cigarettes.
- The more tobacco retailers there are near schools, the more likely youth are to smoke.
- Stores popular among adolescents contain almost 3X more tobacco marketing materials compared to other stores in the same community.
- The average age of a new smoker is 13 years old.